With local elections approaching we dusted off our Cycling Manifesto we sent out to councillors at the last elections in 2012. Last time we only sent it to existing councillors with limited response, but this time we’ve updated it and sent it out to every candidate in every council ward – that’s 77 in all! We also gave them a bit more time to respond and we’ll update you on this nearer the election.
CYCLING MANIFESTO FOR PORTSMOUTH
We seek your support for our Manifesto for better everyday cycling facilities in Portsmouth, for all ages, residents, workers and visitors.
Please would you be kind enough to let us know before the election what actions you would take to help Portsmouth Cycle Forum to achieve its goals.
We believe that the following would help to bring this about in Portsmouth:
Creation of a Strategic Green Cycle Network.
- Corridors into the city centre.
- Full signage of cycle routes.
Improved safety measures for cyclists in Portsmouth and Southsea.
- Expanded use of cycling ‘contra flow’ systems.
- Permitting cycling in Palmerston Road, Guildhall Walk and Commercial Road precincts outside business hours.
- Expanding safe bike routes to schools.
Creation of liveable neighbourhoods.
- Making local streets safer for walking and cycling.
- A Cycling Charter.
Integration of bikes with public transport.
- Promotion of ‘cycle & ride’ schemes.
- Secure cycle parking at Rail and Bus stations.
Encourage cycling throughout Portsmouth.
- Promote new activities i.e. cycling film festival, guided rides and events, adult cycle training.
We hope that you personally will send us a brief message of support for our Portsmouth Cycling Manifesto before the election on Thursday 15 May. Please do contact us if you have any queries at all.
Jon Spencer, Chair
Portsmouth Cycle Forum