Today we have launched the first phase of PCF’s evolving digital services: a new website. If you’re reading this, you’re looking at the new site.
There are a few things to notice:
- The site is now designed to be mobile friendly. It still works really well on desktop machines, but we recognise that the majority of readers these days are using phones, so supporting that platform is a priority.
- The site should respond much faster than before (we’ve measured it as taking 2 seconds to fully load where the old site took six).
- The search tool should also be significantly quicker.
- There’s now a light and dark mode that respects whatever preference you’ve set on your browsing device.
- Many older articles (some dating back to the earliest days of the forum) have been restored and are now available - showing PCFs many years of diligent campaigning.
- We’re now able to develop and evolve the site and its content faster than before, so if there are things you like or want, let us know!
If you’re technically inclined, you may be interested to know that we’ve moved away from WordPress (which uses PHP to dynamically generate content) and we’re now using a static site generation tool called Astro. Aside from increased speed and simplicity, this also means we can benefit from free web hosting, so the donations we receive can help make the city even more bike friendly!
Over time we’ll be adding more capabilities and features, but this is the base that makes everything possible.